This chocolate beet brownies recipe is a completely modified creation of my good friend Thao and her cooking project and ideology, Apothe Cafe. She is an amazing chef skilled in plant-based, vegetarian, vegan and generally dank healthy food. Please enjoy this recipe and provide comments on how it goes. Thao originally excluded all flour-like products from the recipe to make it paleo friendly, I however add in a little for some help with the thickening. You could also try using more expensive coconut flour or almond flour etc.
Beet brownies recipe
yield: approx. 9 x 12 inch baking pan about 1 inch thick
equipment: immersion blender or other blender to puree beets
- 4-5 medium beets (2 cups pureed cooked beets)
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour, coconut flour, rice flour (each will give it a slightly different consistency but it will be delicious no matter what)
- ¾ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened, raw organic is best P: )
- Wash, chop stem side clean and boil or steam beets until very soft (blunt knife enters easily), this can take 30min-1 hour. You can chop beets to speed up this process. Also, it is easier to skin/peel by hand them after they are cooked (and if they are whole it helps).
- Coat baking pan in coconut oil
- While the beets are cooking gather other ingredients…
- Melt or soften coconut oil if it is very solid (at warm temps like Hawaii this is not a big deal, but mainland in Winter this step is crucial).
- Bring eggs to room temp (because cool eggs will make coconut oil harder, equally, you cannot add eggs to HOT coconut oil because it will cook them before they are fully combined in brownie batter
- Measure out dry ingredients
- Combine wet ingredients in bowl
- When beets are cooked, wash under cold water and peel. Puree with food processor, blender or immersion blender.
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Add beets, wet and dry ingredients to bowl and combine
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy, center will still be soft, almost like mochi especially if you used rice flour