This recipe for Shepard’s pie with grass-fed ground beef is a favorite among all my dinner guests. It is surprising easy to make and requires ingredients that are usually in the home chef’s kitchen. It can be made gluten-free and dairy free.
Recipe for Shepard’s pie with grass-fed ground beef
Ingredients for the beef layer:
- 1 pound Big Island ground beef (or other amazing grass-fed beef)
- 1 small to medium onion chopped fine
- 4 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 1 large carrots chopped into small rounds or cubes
- ⅓ cup fresh chopped herbs (thyme, oregano, cuban oregano, basil, rosemary, sage)
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- tomato paste (optional)
- red wine (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour or other gluten-free flour
Ingredients for potato topping:
- 3-4 medium potatoes cooked/boiled until soft enough to mash
- salt & pepper to taste (start with about ½ teaspoon salt or less)
- ¼ to ½ cup milk (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons butter (optional)
1) Sauté onions in olive oil in large pan until translucent (3 minutes).
2) Add carrots, onions, garlic and herbs and sauté a few more minutes over medium-high heat.
3) Add ground beef and sauté until browned and no longer red breaking it up as you go.
4) Then, if using red wine and it now and let it reduce until the aroma of alcohol dissipates and liquid is gone. 5) After wine has reduced add broth and Worcestershire sauce (if using) and let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes on medium-high heat.
6) At this point you can thicken the liquid by removing ½ cup of it and whisking the tapioca flour to dissolve it. Then, add it back to the pan and let it simmer a few minutes.
- While the beef is simmering, make the mashed potatoes.
- If the pan is oven safe, you may add the mashed potatoes on the top of the beef in the pan. Otherwise transfer beef to an oven-safe baking dish.
- Then, top with mashed potatoes. Be careful to not mix the beef layer and the potato layer.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes at 400° F until the mashed potatoes start to brown. You will also see the beef filling bubbling up from the sides. If you like cheese feel free to melt some of you favorite kind on top in the last 2 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Serve with a big green salad and enjoy!