What you use in your home and on your body is directly associated with your overall wellness and long term health. It is important to do a little homework and find products that are free of known carcinogens and toxins. For information on non-toxic body and cleaning products you can reference these websites below and check out my personal recommendations.
- Environmental Working Group has a great site (http://www.ewg.org) that you can use to search products or look for lists of safe products.
- Safe cosmetics (http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/) is another site that has information on harmful additives to avoid. Below is a small list of products we’ve done our research on and really truly enjoy using on a regular basis.
In general look for products that are free of:
- parabens (hormone balance disrupters which may lead to infertility and other imbalances)
- Heavy metals such as mercury, lead, arsenic, aluminum and cadmium (these amass in our soft tissues of our bodies) and can be found in nasal sprays, shampoos and antiperspirant deodorants
- Phthalates (in makeup, hair spray, mousse, and perfumes)
- VOC’s (volatile organic compounds) which are also found in perfumes, shampoo, nail polish remover, hair relaxers, toiletries, and aftershave lotions.
- Toluene (Found in cosmetics and nail polish)
- Synthetic Fragrances which are linked to hormone disruption and found in almost every personal care product. Look for labels such as “fragrance free”, or “free and clear”
- Dioxins (these are often found in chlorinated cleaners)
- Chlorine (almost always present in tap water, shower water, pools, household cleaners)
Good Soap! It’s only ingredients are: Coconut Oil, Wild Ginger, Lime Peel Oilm, Hydnocarpus Oil, Orange Oil, Sandalwood Oil. It has a “Irish Spring” color and a very pleasant smell that doesn’t linger on your skin (like chemical fragrances do).
Dishmate Manual Dishwashing Liquid Free and Clear,5 gallon pail
You wont have to run to the store over and over again to find your favorite fragrance free dish soap! This pail will last you for at least a year. Here’s a link to a smaller one if you’d like to try it out before committing to the 5 gallon bucket! 25 Oz Dishmate Dish Liquid Free and Clear 1 unit
Floride-free toothpaste- a MUST. See my post on this topic. Buy a pack of 4 for $25.40 = only $6.35 a tube – thats about $2-3 less than they sell for in our health food stores here on Big Island. And you don’t have to run to the store every time you run out! You just need to reorder when you are on your last tube.
For a natural deodorant that works, use Crystal roll-on or spray bottle and add a few drops of organic lemongrass essential oil to the top of the roll on or inside the spray bottle every few days. Works just as good as store bought deodorants, although you may want to apply it 2-4 x a day if you are very very active. Be careful not to put too much lemongrass or your armpits will be burning for a good half hour.
Shampoo and Conditioner:
These are important to choose wisely because you use them 1-2x per day! Find shampoos and conditioners with no fragrance or a mild fragrance that washes away and doesn’t linger around. Here is a good graphic with 12 top chemmies to avoid. http://livelovefruit.com/12-toxic-ingredients-to-avoid-in-shampoo/
Castor oil is an age-old natural remedy for reducing inflammation and healing. This product is the best I have come across for chapped lips. It is also great to use for facial cleaning along with another carrier oil. Check out: http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com.
Note about Amazon links:
The titles and images are Amazon links. Each time a reader clicks the link and purchases anything on Amazon, I get a small small percentage of that sale. Living in a rural community on Big Island, Amazon prime has been a huge tool in helping me find ways to save money and find exactly what I want. I know buying local is ideal (and I do everyday) but I prefer Amazon Prime for many items for a few reasons:
- You can comfortably buy staple items (often in bulk) for up to 30% less than local store prices
- There is no need to drive (gas $$ and time- save the planet!)
- Don’t have to park, stand in long checkout lines, looking around for things that store either don’t have or are too $$.