It’s mountain apple season – at least for our few trees here on the farm. This pink mountain apple cocktail is a great way to celebrate.
In May or June right by the house it’s hard to ignore the mountain apples when they start dropping fruit all over the driveway. The season doesn’t last long here (maybe 3 weeks or less). Adam and I try to pick at least one big batch and juice them. Whole mountain apples don’t have a very long shelf life (2-3 days or less). Similarly, the juice doesn’t last long before it starts to turn sour. So, mountain apple binge!
This year Adam got inspired by a recent get together where our friend served Koloa Rum with fresh cane sugar juice! Omg so good. He called me on my way home from work begging me to get Koloa dark rum and limes.
This Pink Mountain Apple Rum Cocktail is so perfect on its own. It also goes great as a mojito by muddling fresh mint and adding some soda water. Definitely my favorite way to consume Mountain Apples to date. Oh the juice by itself is good too.
Mountain apple cocktail recipe with lime and dark rum
Equipment: Juicer for mountain apples
Yield: 1 cocktail (portions are approximate)
- 6 oz Fresh mountain apple juice
- 1/2 oz lime juice (~1/4 lime squeezed)
- 1.5 oz Koloa Dark Rum
- Pour juice over ice and stir
- Slowly pour rum allowing it to float on top
- Garnish with mountain apple slices and a lime wedge
Variation: Mountain Apple Mojito
- 5-6 oz Mountain apple juice
- 1 oz lime juice
- 1.5 oz Koloa Rum
- 8 leaves muddled mint leaves
- Soda water
- Muddle mint
- Add juices and rum and shake
- Serve over ice and top with soda water