This recipe was my first ever lasagna. I was looking for a way to use a lot of Hamakua mushrooms we were gifted along with a large container of ricotta, and of course get my iron fix in with fresh Big Island Beef. I am running out of time in general but trying to at least keep note of the basic of my recipes along with nutrition info so I can track how much protein, iron etc. I am feeding this growing baby oven. So this is a quick and dirty post. Hope you get inspired to make your own Italian creations!
Mushroom, eggplant and beef lasagna with ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella
- 1 32 oz container ricotta cheese or less
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella chopped
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese grated fresh
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound mushrooms
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 25 oz jar marinara sauce
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 pounds eggplant sliced thin
- 1 12oz package lasagna noodles about 14 noodles
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cook mushroom well in a small amount of oil, set aside
- Slice eggplant, salt, leave for 20 minutes and soak up the salt with a towel.
- Roast in the oven on baking sheets sprayed with oil for 30 minutes at 350°F, set aside
- Brown beef in large skillet with chopped onion and garlic. Drain fat. Add mushrooms, diced tomato and 3/4 of the jar of marinara sauce. Cook and add salt and pepper to taste. Add any fresh Italian herbs you have like parsley, basil, oregano, thyme.
- Boil water for lasagna noodles, preparing them like the package as you do the next step.
- Mix ricotta, 1/2 the parm and 1/2 the mozz, the eggs, salt and Italian seasoning.
- Once all ingredients are prepared pour a little of the jar sauce on the bottom of a large baking pan. then over lap with noodles (About 4). Then add meat sauce, eggplant slices, and ricotta.
- Make another layer with noodles, and repeat meat sauce, eggplant, ricotta. To use up all the ricotta and noodles I made another small baking dish with 2 layers because my large pan isn't that tall. The final layer should end with noodles, a little be of the jar sauce (no meat on top) and the rest of the sprinkled cheese.
- Bake in oven at 350°F for 45 minutes, let sit for 5-10 minutes and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!