This baked chicken marinated in yogurt garlic sauce is inspired by Greek cuisine and the fact that I have a lot of Greek yogurt in my fridge. Did you know strained Greek yogurt has 29 grams of protein in it? Compared to just around 10 grams for regular yogurt. I didn’t know until I was searching for recipe inspiration that yogurt is one of the only substances that actually tenderizes chicken breast.
I really like the idea of cooking with chicken breasts, but it is so hard to get it to actually be moist and tasty unless you a) cook it in a soup or a stew, b) bread it and bake it, c) smoother a sauce all over it after cooking. But simply marinating the breast in yogurt turns boring chicken breast 180 degrees around into a really pleasant dish on its own.
This baked chicken marinated in yogurt dish is perfect served with a side of pilaf, orzo salad, roasted vegetables drizzled in tahini lemon dressing.
Baked Chicken Marinated Yogurt Sauce
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 – 1½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 small handful fresh parlsey chopped
- 1 small handful fresh oregano chopped
- 1/2 medium red pepper chopped
Marinate the chicken
- Slice 2 thick chicken breasts in half (butterfly style)
- In a deep pan (like a bread pan works well, or bowl, add yogurt, garlic, lemon zest, chopped herbs, chopped pepper, salt and pepper to taste
- Toss and refrigerate. You can marinate it as little as 20 minutes or as much as overnight.
- Bake in oven (or even toaster oven/convection oven) at 375°F for about 30 minutes or until chicken has reached 165°F, or until when cut with a knife it no longer looks pink.