This black bean burger has millet, quinoa, veggies and fresh herbs. They are gluten-free and have a simple but unique flavor and texture, plus they stick together and crisp up well when pan fried in olive oil. Additionally, the recipe has an excellent balance of beans, starches and garden veggies.
Black Bean Quinoa and Millet Veggie Burger Recipe
yield: about 12 vegetable bean burgers, 4 inch diameter and ½ inch thick
special equipment: food processor for mashing beans is optional, non-stick pan makes using less oil possible.
- 2 cups cooked or 1 can black beans
- ½ cup dry quinoa, cooked
- ½ cup dry millet, cooked
- 2 cups water for quinoa and millet
- 2 carrots chopped fine
- 2 celery stalks chopped fine
- ½ medium onion
- ¼ cup chopped red or yellow bell pepper
- handful (¼ cup chopped) of fresh herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, etc.)
- 3 cloves (or less) garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2-4 tablespoons soy sauce (non-gmo, organic, and/or tamari)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- ¼ cup – ½ cup oat flour (or other substitute)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking veggies
- plus 1-2 tablespoons olive oil per batch of veggie burgers to fry in non-stick pan
- Start cooking the millet and the quinoa. In the meantime sauté veggies in olive oil (onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and fresh herbs) for 5-10 minutes until tender.
- Pulse black beans in food processor, or mash by hand until the batter resembles a mush with some visible whole black beans. Add veggies and salt and mix a little more. If using a food processor transfer the mix to a bowl, then fold in quinoa and millet. Next, add egg and fold in oat flour. Finish with sauce soy.
- Form patties with your hands to desired diameter and thickness. In a stainless steel pan, 2 tablespoons olive oil and bring to med-high. When oil is hot, shallow-fry 1 batch at a time to crisp them on the outside (about 2 minutes each side). Continue to cook them in the oven or your toaster oven at 375 for another 10 minutes or so to ensure the eggs is cooked through.
- Serve over lettuce, topped with cheese or with gluten-free bread. Add your favorite sauce, ketchup etc. and enjoy.
Variation on Black bean Quinoa burgers
Black Bean Quinoa Veggie Burgers
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cans black beans
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 cup cassava flour or other gluten-free flour like oat flour, rice flour, etc.
- 1 cup corn flour or corn meal
- 1/2 or so cup coconut oil
- roughly chop onion, celery and carrot and sautee in 1 tablespoon oil until medium soft
- in food processor pulse veggies, 1 can of black beans, egg, and spices
- turn out into a bowl, add quinoa, and cassava flour
- in a shallow dish add corn flour, make balls out of batter and dust with corn flour
- in large pan add shallow layer of coconut oil, cook patties 1-2 minutes on each side until slighty crisp. Transfer to oven to finish.