Carrot ginger soup is perfect for rainy season here in Hawaiʻi. It isn’t hard to grow carrots here, but it is hard to get them to taste that perfect amount of sweetness. If you let them get too big they get a little bit woody. Nevertheless, every time we grow a round of carrots we have way too much. One of my favorite ways to store them is to wash them, grate them and vacuum seal them for future use. Another good way to use them is carrot soup!
This carrot coconut soup recipe is totally flexible but should yield about 4 large servings of soup. If you use the coconut flesh instead of milk, expect the soup to be a little bit chewy. Lol. I love this texture but others aren’t prepared for a pureed soup to have the same texture.
Immersion blender is best but you could use a regular blender and blend in batches.
Kitchenaid has a nice middle of the road immersion blender that will last you almost a lifetime of seamlessly pureeing soups and other foods.
Recipe for Carrot ginger soup coconut soup
- 8-10 large organic carrots, washed, peeled and chopped roughly
- 1 large onion chopped roughly
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 3-4 small – medium russet potatoes, washed peeled and chopped roughly
- 2-3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh ginger
- 1 can coconut milk or the flesh of 1-2 fresh young(ish) coconuts.
- chicken broth concentrate, chicken broth, vegetable broth, or bouillon.
- Sauté onion in coconut oil (refined or not) until soft.
- Then add garlic, ginger, carrot and sauté another 5 – 8 minutes.
- Next add 4 cups of broth or enough to cover the vegetables and 1 ½ to 2 cups coconut milk or coconut flesh.
- Boil until carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Then, let the soup cool for about 20-30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (stick blender) or in batches using your stand-up blender, blend the soup while adding salt and pepper to taste, going a little light, as the flavors (especially) the black pepper will intensify when you heat the soup again.
Serve with a salad or warm bread!
If you like soups like this try my recipe for…