I developed this healthy cauliflower cheddar soup recipe while visiting the mainland. Like so many of my recipes, Adam bugged me for months to make him cauliflower cheese soup. I finally came through for him. This recipe comes out savory and super creamy. I don’t drink milk or use cream so unlike many recipes for this type of soup I didn’t add any extra dairy beyond the cheese. This soup is great for cheesy soup lovers who cannot tolerate the lactose in many types of cheese but can tolerate cheddar. It is also gluten-free and can be prepared vegetarian.
And yes, I know first hand that cauliflower isn’t easy to grow in the tropics. However, some talented farmers and gardeners are able pull off small crops and small heads in parts of the islands. But in the store they are largely unaffordable costing up to $10 for a head of organic cauliflower. Hopefully our talented farmers will get better at growing and we’ll be able to enjoy more of them in Hawaii.
If you like this type of recipe you may also like:
Recipe for cauliflower cheddar soup
Yield: 4-6 servings
Equipment: Regular blender or immersion blender
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 2-3 potatoes peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 quart chicken or veggie broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté cauliflower, onion, potatoes, garlic in olive oil, stirring frequently to avoid sticking, add a little more oil as necessary to prevent sticking
- Once the onions are soft, add broth (should just cover the veggies) and bring to a boil until potatoes are tender (15-30 minutes depending on how small they are chopped).
- Let the soup cool until it safe to put in blender and then blend on high until creamy and uniform.
- Return to pot (rinse it out first) and heat on low
- Add cheddar and stir until combined
- Test it and add more salt and pepper.
This recipe was inspired by a few posted recipe’s including