This dairy-free chicken pot pie recipe is almost as a simple as making soup. You just need to take a little extra time to make the crust. It is a healthier, and dairy free alternative to other pot pies. I use coconut oil for the crust instead of lard or butter.
ingredients for the crust:
- 1 and ¼ cup flour (Einkorn, Spelt, Wholewheat)
- ¼ cup chilled coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ ice cold water
ingredients for the filling:
- oil (1-3 teaspoons olive oil)
- 2 chicken breasts chopped
- 2 cups chopped onion
- about 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup chopped summer squash
- 2 potatoes
- 2 cups broth
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons flour, or 1-2 tablespoons tapioca starch (or other thickener)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the pie crust dough by combining dry ingredients, cutting the coconut oil into the flour and adding the water gradually (you may not use all of it) until crumbly mixture. Roll into a ball without handling too much and chill for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
- Add oil or butter or both to a skillet, heat to medium/medium high and fry the onions, carrots, and other vegetables, and garlic for 5 minutes
- Then, add the bit sized chicken and brown a little in the pan stirring constantly for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped fresh herbs and veggie broth, let simmer 15 minutes
- Take out some of the broth, add 2 tablespoons flour (or other thickener), whisk until dissolved. Add the thickened paste into the pan again and let simmer another 5-10 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary (I add a little soy sauce and more salt and pepper)
- While simmering roll out the pie crust.
- If you have stainless steal or other oven proof skillets you can put the crust directly on top of the pan and bake, otherwise, transfer to oven-safe pan.
- Cover with pan with the crust, seal around the edges, if you top doesn’t have holes, make sure to poke some to let out released steam.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes or until crust appears golden brown and pot pie is bubbling
Variation: Hamakua Mushroom and Chicken Pot Pie
This recipe follows the basic steps from above including the crust but uses Hamakua Piopinni Mushrooms to dominate the flavor of the dish.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 2 lbs or more fresh mushrooms (we use Piopinni and a few Grey Oyster Mushrooms)
- 1 large onion
- 4 gloves garlic
- 1 carrot diced small
- 1 celery stalk diced small
- 2 cups broth
- A few rosemary springs
- Salt, pepper, soy sauce to taste