I love cookies and cookie dough and cookies. This recipe for coconut oatmeal cookies is made with coconut oil instead of butter. Therefore, this recipe is dairy-free for those who are sensitive to butter. Also, coconut oil is full of medium-chain fatty acids that aid in your overall health. As a rule I bake as much as I possibly can with coconut oil.
Because these cookies are made with coconut oil, don’t expect the same vibe as your typical oatmeal raisin cookies. This recipe is also designed to be less sweet than the typical cookie recipe. In general, this is also a great practice. Our world is now addicted to sugar. Our taste buds have evolved to expect super sweet baked items. Try gradually reducing the amount of sugar you put in your recipes. Your taste buds and bellies will be pleasantly surprised. Also, you can try reducing the sugar and putting a few drops of alcohol-free stevia, which is calorie-free and completely plant derived.
To make this recipe gluten-free, you can substitute the flour in this recipe with your favorite gluten-free flour mix. Alternatively, you could try substituting other flours like Spelt, Einkorn etc.
For other baked goods with coconut oil check out:
Recipe for Coconut Oatmeal Cookies:
Equipment: Oven and baking sheets
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- about 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- add 1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened is best)
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to #50 degrees F, use coconut oil to lightly grease baking sheet.
- In medium bowl mix the dry ingredients (except the shredded coconut).
- Also, in another larger bowl mix the wet ingredients (including sugar or maple syrup).
- Then, in parts, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined but not over mixed.
- Fold the coconut into the cookie batter
- Then, spoon the batter (about 1 inch) onto cookie sheets greased with coconut oil
- Finally, bake the cookies in oven at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes until browning on bottom and solid and almost golden on top.
- Let cool a few minutes and enjoy warm : )