Frittatas are one of my favorite meals to make for guests. They are simple, only require a few dishes and you can add as many ingredients as you have on hand. Additionally, they are flexible, forgiving and filling!
I see frittatas as the perfect way to get you veggies and protein into the beginning of your day. However, this is not just another breakfast dish. Of course it is great at brunch too. Yet, sometimes I also love making this for dinner (if I didn’t already have eggs for breakfast). It is quick and easy and warming. Another plus is that frittatas are great eaten cold and leftovers are the perfect snack or to-go lunch for the next day. If you want to make your frittatas a little more filling try adding sliced of boiled potato. This is most similar to the Spanish tortilla.
Adding fresh herbs to this recipe is a really good way to get some of those beneficial micronutrients from garden. Add fresh basil, oregano, parsley, or thyme. Experiment with dill and other fresh herb favorites.
Recipe for Herbed Vegetable Frittata
Best in stainless steel or an oven-safe pan
- 10-12 eggs, beaten
- ½ medium onion or 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale or other greens (spinach, chard, kai choy, bok choy)
- Chopped fresh and ripe tomatoes (½ cup or less)
- ½ cup goat cheese, or shredded mozzarella, cheddar, manchego
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh herbs (oregano, Cuban/Mexican oregano, stick oregano, all basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, etc.)
- optional boiled potato sliced into half-moons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste (about 30 fresh ground turns)
*preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- First, sauté onion (3-5 min) until translucent
- Then, sauté the greens until wilted (3 minutes or less)
- Add chopped herb and sauté a few minutes minutes longer
- In a separate medium sized bowl beat eggs and salt and pepper. Be careful not under or over salt. You can start light at first and test a small bit of the egg by cooking a few drops.
- Once the vegetables are cooked add it to the egg bowl and them in fold in.
- If you are using a totally stainless steel pan with no plastic (i.e. it is 100% oven safe) then you can quickly clean it and re-oil the pan generously with olive oil or refined coconut oil.
- Now, you can either add the cheese to mixture or just put cheese on top in the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Finally, add the egg and vegetable mixture to pan
- And bake immediately, about 20-25 minutes until it is clearly cooked on top and slightly brown on top and bubbling.