The year is not complete unless I make at least one batch of my number 1 favorite cookie in the world and share it with as many good people as possible. this recipe is slight adaptation of my grandpa’s rugalech.
ingredients for the dough
- 1 # of butter
- 1 # of cream cheese
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs (plus one for washing the cookies)
- 1 and ½ # of flour plus more for rolling out the dough
- cinnamon and sugar
- chopped nuts (walnuts, macadamia)
- raspberry, strawberry, apricot, etc. jam
- mini chocolate chips, other chocolate shavings
- several small bowls for the filling
- rolling pin
- heavy duty mixer
- sharp knife or dough scraper
- large surface you can use to roll dough and cut dough
- 2-4 cookie sheets (parchment paper)
- pastry brush
- Mix cream cheese and butter together until well blended
- Add eggs, vanilla, and sugar
- Add flour a little at a time until well the dough forms a ball that is not too sticky, not too stiff and somewhat elastic. Don’t worry too much about it being too soft or too sticky, as you roll it out you can add more flour
- remove from a bowl and leave on the counter on a patch of flour (you can refrigerate it at this point if you need time to clean up from the first step)
- break of a ball of dough that is proportionate to the amount of space you have to roll out the dough.
- roll out the dough into a rectangle shape, turning it over and flouring frequently to prevent sticking.
- cut edges to ensure a nice rectangle and put aside the scraps to use again.
- spread an even portion of the filling and cut a small strip of dough and begin rolling.
- placed on non-greased cookie sheet or one with parchment paper (especially for the jam cookies).
- Wash lightly with egg wash and bake 15 minutes at 375 degrees until tops and bottoms are slightly brown 10) cool and enjoy!