I recently visited my parents in upstate NY during apple season. They have more than 20 unknown varieties of cute apple trees with little tart apples of varying sizes, shapes and tastes. Adam was visiting with me and begggggged me to make apple pie. Then I made 4 more. This pie recipe is classic, really good and does
n’t involve a lot of processed ingredients. In my crust recipe I cut the butter with 50% coconut oil. Obviously you could leave out the coconut oil and use all very cold butter and this recipe should work great. I encourage people to try using just coconut oil for the crust. I haven’t been that adventurous yet.
My mom had this cute apple peeler and corer, it was definitely a time saver with the super small apples on their farm.
Recipe for the Apple Pie
Yield: 1 apple pie in 9” inch diameter pie pan, with a top and bottom crust
Equipment: Pie pan, food processor
Ingredients for the pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cups white flour (plus another cup or so for rolling out the dough)
- 1/2 cups salted butter ice cold, chopped (plus another tablespoon or two for dabbing under the top pie crust.
- 1/2 cup solid coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp or less salt
- 1/2 cup ice cold water or less
- 1 egg beaten (for the egg wash)
Steps for the pie crust:
- Mix cold butter and coconut oil in food processor with flour. I roughly chop frozen butter and flash freeze the coconut oil first. Pulse the mixture for 2 -3 seconds at a time until it becomes crumbly. Maybe about 30-40 pulses. You want there to be small chunks of butter and coconut oil.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow bowl and add the icy water teaspoon or so at a time, mixing gently with fork until the dough becomes uniformly moist but not sticky.
- Stick your hands into ice cold water and dry them, gently mold dough into a ball (mixture will be crumbly, be patient and gentle). Then wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
Apple Pie Filling Recipe
Ingredients for the apple pie filling:
- 3-4 cups sliced thin apples that are cored and peeled.
- 1/4-1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2-3 tablespoons flour
- Juice of 1 or 2 lemons
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Steps for rolling out the pie dough:
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it warm for a few minutes (2-5).
- Set up a well floured surface to roll the dough and flour the rolling pin. To make it easier for yourself, is this is your first time in a while with pie dough, you can lay a piece of wax paper down and flour that.
- Separate the dough into two, one part should have a little more dough for the bottom of the pan.
- Roll the dough out gently for a first time, it will crack a lot and be very crumbly. After a couple of rolls, turn it into a ball again and then roll it out again on the wax paper. Adding more flour on the wax paper and the rolling pin as necessary. Be careful not to warm the dough with your hands too much. Handle as little as necessary. Remember you want chunks of butter and coconut oil to make the pie crust flaky. Try to roll it out until it at least a ½ in more than the diameter of your pie plate when it is upside down. Add more flour as necessary during the rolling making sure the bottom of the dough isn’t sticking too much. You can turn it over a few times during this process. Then fold in half and gently place into pie pan. Set aside in the fridge
- Repeat steps for the top of the pie crust. When finished place on a plate in the fridge and For the bottom of the pie pan, roll out half of the dough . Roll it out until it looks at least a 1/2 inch – 1 inch more than the diameter of the bottom of your pie pan. Place carefully in pie pan. Roll out the second half for the top of the pie.
- Add the juice of 1 or 2 lemons to a large mixing bowl (discard seeds).
- Wash, core and slice the apples, tossing them in lemon juice as you add them to a bowl.
- Add the cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup and gently toss until the apples are evenly coated.
- After your bottom crust is in place, put the apples carefully in the pie pan, adding a little flour as you go. Right before you put the pie top on, add small dabs or little pinches of butter under the top of the crust.
- Make a few slits in the dough, and gently wash with beaten egg.
11. Bake in preheated oven at 350° F for 30-35 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
if you like this recipe try my….