From about July to October we have avocados raining down from a very old, tall large tree. Raining. Each morning during these months I pick up perhaps 20 avocados from the ground. I know for city dwellers this is an insane amount of avos. It’s almost like a money tree if you consider how much money people spend on avocados a year.
For 25 years of my life I never really cared for avocados thinking there we just another bland, fattening, caloric food that people were trending on. I would always give up my share of avocado to the next person that wanted them. My brother told me I was NUTs and one day, craving mousse (but abstaining from milk,) I came across the avocado mousse concept…and it was this dish that made me LOVE avocado.
This recipe is vegan, dairy-free and uses unrefined sugar. It is so luscious you will have a hard time putting it down.
If you like the idea of using chocolate with healthier desserts you may like to try my recipes for gluten-free chocolate beet brownies and my chocolate banana brownies
Recipe for Chocolate Avocado Mousse with Banana
Yield: 4-6 servings
- Avos (about 2 large)
- ¼ -½ cup cocoa powder (depending on the size of the avos)
- To taste honey or maple syrup, or stevia (ideally stevia is an addition to honey or maple syrup and allows you to use less of the honey or syrup by adding a few drops of stevia to bring out the sweetness).
- Bananas, sliced
- Add avocados and some of the cocoa powder to blender, add some of the sweetener
- Blend until smooth and give it a try for taste
- Add more cocoa powder and sweetener to taste
- Chill and serve with sliced bananas