This chocolate flax smoothie recipe is wonderful when you are craving something sweet. Good for an afternoon snack or even dessert, this recipe is so simple and flexible. You can add more super foods if you want like chia seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, gogi berries, maca powder etc.
This recipe highlights flax seed. Flax seed not only has high fiber content, but it also has high omega-3 fatty acid content. It contains lignans, which have antioxidant properties, and their mucilage content (it’s gummy when ground and mixed with liquid) helps them remain in the stomach longer to absorb nutrients. Flax may also help regulate the female menstrual cycle and hormones (1). Flax is best consumed when it is ground fresh. Whole flax seeds are hard to chew and may pass through the digestive system completely. Raw cocoa powder also has many antioxidants and natural caffeine, so you can feel good about this smoothie, for breakfast, lunch or a quick snack.
Especially for blending small seeds like flax, chia etc., I highly recommend using a blender with a high horsepower. We use the Blendtech brand, which is similar to Vitamix but more afforable. There are several models. I would guess they are all similar in quality but differ in the amount of presets and speeds they have. Another note… these blenders last forever! My husband has had one for 15 years and ours is going on year #7 with no fails.
Try getting organic whole flax seed in bulk and keep in your refrigerator like these from Amazon: Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Brown Flax Seeds, 2 Pound. I have a sweet tooth but don’t always want the calories. In these cases I add a few stevia drops to my smoothies. Try this NuNaturals brand from Amazon they’re the best I’ve had.
Banana flax smoothie with chocolate
Yield: about 12 oz
Equipment: Blender, high speed recommended.
- 2 medium bananas
- 2 tablespoons whole flax seed (to make the smoothie less thick, reduce this amount)
- 2 tablespoons raw unsweetened chocolate powder
- 6 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup water, almond milk, coconut milk or other substitute ( you can also use coconut butter and water)
- Optional sweetener like honey, maple syrup or stevia to taste
- Blend everything together on high in intervals of 30 seconds until smooth.
- Add sweetener if desired.
- Chill if not cool enough.
(1) Phipps, W. R., Martini, M. C., Lampe, J. W., Slavin, J. L., & Kurzer, M. S. (1993). Effect of flax seed ingestion on the menstrual cycle. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 77(5), 1215-1219. doi: 10.1210/jcem.77.5.8077314
If you are looking for other great smoothie recipes try:
Blueberry banana smoothie with chia seeds
or other recipes with bananas…
Chocolate Banana Muffins with Fresh Coconut