Yes! I did it again! Killer taro burger recipe. These are 100% gluten free if you make sure to use Tamari or Gluten-free soy sauce and gluten-free Worcestershire sauce. They are moist but not too mushy and extremely flavorful. I’m sure there is a way to use “flax eggs”and omit the Worcestershire if you want to make them vegan. But I since I’m not vegan.. I feel no real need to mess with this recipe at this point.
The taro quinoa burger recipe below was designed to be a BULK recipe with the purpose of using up a good amount of taro and then vacuum sealing the taro burgers.
Obviously the most important step is to have pre-cooked taro. I prefer to use a pressure cooker like the, Presto 01370 8-Quart Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker
This economical vacuum sealer and bags work great. We’ve had this vacuum sealer for over 10 years!
FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealer Machine for Food Preservation with Bags and Rolls Starter Kit | 1 Vacuum Sealer System | Compact & Easy Clean | UL Safety Certified | Black
This recipe is also even quicker and easier to make if you have pre-shredded carrots! I usually grow carrots and harvest a large amount for later use in veggies burgers and muffins etc. The shredded carrots I also vacuum seal and freeze.
- 3 ½ pounds shredded cooked taro (kalo)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (about 1 ½ cups dry quinoa)
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups shredded raw carrots
- 1 large onion minced
- 6 garlic cloves (minced is ok but pressed is best), or 2 tablespoons already prepared minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 4 or ¼ cup tablespoons soy sauce
- approx 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 5-10 dashes of hot sauce
Things that are easier to prep ahead of time
- cooked taro
- cooked quinoa
- shredded carrots
- shredded cooked taro
- Cook minced onion with 1 tablespoon oil (I use organic coconut oil), once they are translucent, add garlic, carrots, Italian seasoning, salt, worchestire, soy, and hot sauce.
- Cook quinoa
- Beat eggs and add salt
- Shred taro in a food processor. I’m on year 6 of using this one… Hamilton Beach (70730) Food Processor & Vegetable Chopper with Bowl Scraper, 10 Cup, Electric
. For only $44 it’s a time saver!
- Fold taro in with quinoa, eggs and onion mixture. If you’re not scared to taste raw egg, give it a quick check for saltiness and spice
- Fry one patty at a time in a thin layer of coconut oil – about 3 minutes on each side till crispy on the outside.
- Enjoy hot cold with bread or with nothing! The perfect meal or snack!