This beef and bean chili gets better the longer it simmers and it is even better the next day, but if you are in a pinch it could be ready in as little as 45 minutes of stewing. It goes great served with rice or fresh homemade cornbread. I also love an excuse to use my homegrown green peppers, hot peppers and green onion.
I just found out I am borderline anemic, which is no surprise because probably about 50% of pregnant women are low in iron stores. So inevitably I have to go on iron supplements. But I am really hoping that I can put a little more effort into consciously increasing iron in my diet so I can reduce the amount of iron supplements, and thus those pesky side effects. (Yeah that one, the one that increased fiber helps with).
So, I bought some beef, rounded up some beans and made a big pot of chili. The heme iron from the beef and the non-heme iron from the beans will both have enhanced absorption from the vitamin C in the tomatoes. Just make sure not to put too much cheese on there because calcium inhibits iron absorption.
In a perfect world I would throw lots more veggies in here, green beans and kale and carrots and and and! But my husband would not tolerate such an nontraditional chili so — that’s why this one is simply called Traditional and Easy Beef Chili. Made with many ingredients you are likely to have on hand. Enjoy!
Traditional and Easy Beef Chili
- 1 pound ground beef grass-fed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped garlic
- ~14 oz can diced tomatoes
- ~14 oz can pureed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth or chicken, or veggie, whatever you have
- 3 tbsp chili powder mix
- 1 medium green onion
- 2 cans kidney beans rinsed!, or black or pinto beans, or mixture
- 1 small hot pepper or a few dashes of cayenne, a sprinkle of crushed red pepper, optional of course!
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 2 tsp salt or more to taste, start with 1 1/2 and taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Brown beef, onion, garlic and 1 tbsp chili powder until beef is cooked through
- Drain fat if there is excess
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil
- Turn to low-med heat and simmer 1-1½ hours stiring occasionally to make sure nothing sticks to bottom.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot over rice with sour cream, green onion, cheese and avocado!