This vegetarian bean load is pretty good for being so incredibly easy. And it is a great way to use all those beans you stocked up on! This recipe is adapted from the Spicy Bean and Lentil Loaf recipe from the book… “Vegetarian: The Greatest Ever Vegetarian Cookbook”. This is my quick and dirty recipe. Enjoy your own variations!
Recipe for Vegetarian Bean Loaf
Ingredients and steps:
Sauté these first:
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 carrot copped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- large handful fresh herbs like parsley, basil, dill, rosemary, thyme etc.
Then in a food processor blend…
- sautéed veggies and herbs
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans drain and rinsed
After blended until smoother move to a bowl and add these remaining ingredients
½ cup breadcrumbs ( I use ½ frozen ends of loafs and ½ oatmeal)
- ½ cup cheese (I use shredded Parm)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon or more to taste cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
Bake at 350 degree in an oiled loaf pan for 45-60 minutes and serve warm or cold.